Welcome to Camp Candlewick!
Camp Candlewick is an online program for avid young readers who may be staying safe at home this summer. Over the course of twelve weeks, young people in grades 1-12 can engage in a virtual book camp that encourages them to take part in shared reads, activities, and streaming events with prominent creators.
Via website content and email newsletters, as well as robust support resources on sites such as Pinterest and YouTube, the families of “campers” will be alerted to reading suggestions, prompts, and activities for the “cabins” appropriate for their age.
Campers should read each book in advance of the date and then “meet” each author as the summer progresses via video messages; learn about each writer’s favorite summer reading books, camp memories, and why it’s so important to stay connected to books all year long. Hopefully they will discover some favorite new reads of their own !
No registration required!
We hope you’ll take the Camp Candlewick pledge:
- I will view summer reading as a fun activity; an opportunity to embrace new stories, meet new characters and immerse myself in settings and experiences outside of my own.
- I will set weekly reading goals and challenge myself to meet them.
- I will try to make a special spot for myself--in my room, or outside in the sun--where I can enjoy private reading time.
- I will joyfully recommend books that I love to other readers, especially my friends.
- I will be thankful for teachers, librarians and especially family members for helping me have access to amazing books all summer long.
- I will challenge myself to dip into the pages of a variety of different kinds of books, and will dare to try new genres and authors.